On 6/7/07, Paul Fremantle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hiram

I'm not sure about whether Sun has relevant patents on the JMS APIs.
Howver, there are two things that may have been violated. Firstly, the
license agreement that was "clicked-through" whenever someone looked

I guess you are referring to the license to that allows a person to
hold a copy of the JMS spec.  I wonder if violating/terminating the
that license IP taints any work created using Ideas obtain from it.
Since this seems to be in the Idea category... I would have thought
that there would need some patents in place to enforce it.

at the JMS specification. Secondly the JMS copyright. Since, as far as
I can see, NMS is likely to be a "derived work" of JMS it is also
likely that it breaches the copyright of the spec.

I can assure you that no copying has taken place.  NMS was initially
not an abstract messaging API.  It was just an API to the .NET client
implementation for ActiveMQ.  Once that started to take shape an
abstract API that has the same domain model as JMS was extracted from
the implementation.   It would be more accurate to say that NMS is a
derived work of an ActiveMQ client.

Regards,
Hiram

Paul

On 6/7/07, Hiram Chirino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I ceased use of and destroyed my copy of the Specification years ago =)
>
> But seriously, what kind of IP is it that is being violated?
> copyright? patent? or some other kind that I'm not aware of?
>
> Regards,
> Hiram
>
> On 6/1/07, Arnaud Simon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > We have been thinking about implementing the NMS API as part of the
> > QPID .Net client. However we are concerned about potential legal issues.
> > It seems to me that the NMS API is very similar to the JMS one but the
> > JMS specification specifically licenses the technology "only for Java".
> >
> > This is the relevant license, copied directly from the JMS Spec
> > document:
> >
> > "Subject to the terms and conditions of this license, Sun hereby grants
> > you a fully-paid, non-exclusive, non-transferable, worldwide, limited
> > license (without the right to sublicense) under Sun's intellectual
> > property rights to review the Specification internally solely for the
> > purpose of designing and developing your Java applets and applications
> > intended to run on the Java platform. Other than this limited license,
> > you acquire no right, title or interest in or to the Specification or
> > any other Sun intellectual property. The Specification contains the
> > proprietary information of Sun and may only be used in accordance with
> > the license terms set forth herein. This license will terminate
> > immediately without notice from Sun if you fail to comply with any
> > provision of this license. Upon termination or expiration of this
> > license, you must cease use of or destroy the Specification."
> >
> > Does anybody know if this concern has already been raised?
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Arnaud

> --
> Regards,