Garrett Rooney wrote:
Is there any particular reason you want this podling to be sponsored
by the Incubator PMC (which is generally done for projects that intend
to turn into their own top level project) rather than having it
sponsored by the Lucene PMC (where Hadoop currently resides)?  It
seems to me that the close relationship between Pig and Hadoop implies
that they very well might best be served under the same roof.

The existing contributor base is largely disjoint from the Hadoop contributor base, and they expect that to mostly remain the case. Nigel, Owen & I, Hadoop committers, will mostly just help the Pig crew out with Apache ways, and don't expect to become significant contributors to Pig. Pig builds on Hadoop, and the communities may overlap a bit, but, to the primary folks involved, it feels like a separate community and they'd prefer to aim for a TLP.

Doug