Here is a quick initial definition. I believe that it is the committer's responsibility to properly state their affiliation. For instance, if a committer contributed to a project and it was approved by their employer (company A) but not actually part of their immediate duties I wouldn't necessarily expect them to have to say I am affiliated with Company A and they might identify themselves as independent. An underpinning of this definition is trust.

Affiliation: For purposes of identifying a community's diversity and independence it is useful to identify a committer's afiliation. It is useful to disclose to the community if a committer is working on a project as part of their primary job responsibility. This can be loosely defined to mean paid to work on a project more than 4-hours a day. This affiliation can be used to identify a project that would be in jeopardy should an organization that is supporting developers should those developers time be redirected to unrelated efforts.