On 31.10.2007, at 03:54, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

I didn't see a thread get started on this topic yet but I've been mulling this over for a bit so perhaps we can continue the discussion in this thread?

I'm not sure that there should be a hard requirement for 3, 5 or n unique committers. As a guideline I think three is a good working number but the more important issue is the Incubator PMC's understanding of the community as they've conducted themselves and the iPMC's collective view on the project's viability going forward....

Well, usually our voting guidelines require three +1 etc. so for example having only three committers from a single company makes voting kind of pointless :-)

Or at least it creates the impression for other contributors that the project is solely led by that company...

So the absolute minimum should be three committers with at least two different entities behind them (e.g. two companies, or at least one independent, etc.) - OTOH I think the current rules outlined at [1] are perfectly fine.

Anyway, with my recent changes it caused me to think more about the people than a set of requirements. IMO Jim and Noel expressing their concern and causing this discussion and deeper inspection of the project is the right process and makes a lot of sense.

Absolutely but IMHO we simply need some rules/requirements/guidelines to set a suitable framework.

Cheers,
Erik

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#community