I am one of the pimary committers on XAP. As far as the board report, I just
plain missed it until it was too late.

As far as the community building is concerned, yes the lists are basically
dead. However work does continue on the project, for better or worse.

Part of the reason I stopped using the lists is that substantive responses were
rare. The only thing I ever got comments on were things like naming and
copyright notices. Of course that is a chicken and egg problem to some degree,
there is no community so nobody uses the lists to discuss so there is no
community.

It would help me if someone could help me understand how to make XAP more
appealing and interesting to the Apache community. Is the problem that there
are no good samples and demos? The website isn't good? Nobody understands what
the point is?

I like discussing technical issues with people but I don't like posting
technical thoughts only to be met consistently by silence. At that point it
becomes busywork, just going through the motions for the sake of appearances.

The XAP project is not like projects like Kabuki that never did any development
and never responded on the lists. There is active development and if someone
ever posted to the lists I'm sure someone would respond. Right now posting on
the lists feels like playing to an empty theater.

James Margaris