(I just rediscovered this thread as part of a year-end mail cleanup...)

On Nov 14, 2007 4:32 PM, James Margaris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am one of the pimary committers on XAP. As far as the board report, I
> just plain missed it until it was too late.
>
> As far as the community building is concerned, yes the lists are basically
> dead. However work does continue on the project, for better or worse.

This is the part that both baffles me and concerns me. How is it that a
group of developers can continue to work on a project without any discussion
on what they're working on?

The only way I could see that happening is if the project is effectively
"done" and people are just fixing the odd bug that gets submitted, but my
impression, at least, is that XAP is not a project that is close to being
"done". Perhaps I'm wrong about this.

So where is the discussion on what happens next? The roadmap, on the web
site, stops at a year ago, and XAP 0.3.0 was released early in 2007. Is
there a plan to get from 0.3.0 to, say, a 1.0 release? Where can I read
about that?

One question that I would ask the XAP folks who work for Nexaweb (which is a
majority of them, I believe): Is there any discussion at all within Nexaweb
about XAP, its status, its future, and its development? Frankly, this has
always seemed to me the most likely reason for the lack of discussion on the
lists - the discussions are happening, but happening in person between
people who work for the same company.

Part of the reason I stopped using the lists is that substantive responses
> were rare. The only thing I ever got comments on were things like naming and
> copyright notices. Of course that is a chicken and egg problem to some
> degree, there is no community so nobody uses the lists to discuss so there
> is no community.
>
> It would help me if someone could help me understand how to make XAP more
> appealing and interesting to the Apache community. Is the problem that there
> are no good samples and demos? The website isn't good? Nobody understands
> what the point is?
>
> I like discussing technical issues with people but I don't like posting
> technical thoughts only to be met consistently by silence. At that point it
> becomes busywork, just going through the motions for the sake of
> appearances.

Let's flip that around. If you were looking at a project with a view to
getting involved in it, how likely would you be to post your thoughts and
ideas if not even the people already involved are discussing anything in the
open?

I understand that it can be hard to bootstrap the discussion. But without a
track record of discussion on the lists, there's little reason for anyone
not already involved to even subscribe to those lists. People need to see
that *something* is happening on the project. The threads don't all need to
be deep technical discussions. For example, where's the thread on what
should go into the 0.4.0 release? How should the 1.0 release be defined?

Is everything - architecture, design, dev process, testing, documentation -
so well nailed down for this project that the people involved don't need to
talk about it? I've been involved with Struts, for example, for 7 years, and
we *still* have discussions about all of those!

--
Martin Cooper

The XAP project is not like projects like Kabuki that never did any