Hi,

Here's an attempt to summarize our recent discussions, and suggest
some actions. Comments are welcome, of course.

1) We need better tools for Incubator PMC members to measure the
community diversity of incubating projects, especially before
graduation.

Suggestion:
-Require a "community diversity" paragraph in the incubating project's
board reports *and* in all graduation proposals

We agree that the guidelines defined at [1] are fine, the goal of this
report is to have the mentor's opinion on the project's health w.r.t.
these guidelines.

We expect the mentors to report any imbalance that they observe in the
community dynamics, either one-man shows, companies having a major
impact via employees paid to work on the project, etc.

2) Disclose company affiliations in incubator proposals and graduation requests
Several of us agree about asking committers and mentors to disclose
their company affiliations in proposals for new incubating projects.

If someone's involvement in the project is independent of their
company affiliation, they are welcome to mention that in the proposal.

The same should apply to graduation requests, to help Incubator PMC
members in asserting the community diversity.

3) Limit the number of new non-ASF initial committers for incubating projects
People who were not ASF committers but come in via a newly incubating
project do not get their commit rights via the normal ASF meritocracy
rules.

We might want to limit the number of such commiters, to limit the
number of people who get in via this "shortcut".

The downside of such a limitation, as someone mentioned in
discussions, is that getting new committers in this way is also an
opportunity to "convert" more people to the ASF way.

Let's talk about the above points, and if we agree update our policies
accordingly.

-Bertrand

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#community