On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 16:20 -0800, David Reiss wrote:
> J Aaron Farr wrote:
> > git could be an issue.
>
> Can you explain what the issue is with Git?  We have at least seven
> contributors (three at Facebook, four external) using git-svn right now, and
> know that at least a few of us would really like to use native Git as the
> main
> repository for Thrift.  Paul Querna mentioned on the Thrift list that Apache
> likes things to happen "in the open", but he said that others could explain
> it
> better.

I think the main issue is one of uniformity, not a technology. I'm quite
happy to believe that git has some significant advantages.

However, the ASF has currently standardised on Subversion. It is where
_all_ of the ASF's code lies. If one ASF project chooses an alternative
source control, we no longer have all the code in one place.

We already have this 'diversified' situation with wikis and with bug
tracking. We have two wikis (moin and confluence) and three bug trackers
(Jira/bugzilla/Scarab - although Scarab may have been shut down
already), and it certainly makes life harder in terms of maintenance.

So, as an ASF infrastructure person, my first response to git would be
'no', much like an accountant's answer would be 'no' when you ask them
for money.

I think you should assume that you won't have git as a part of what you
get at Apache. You are welcome to enter the Apache world, and evangelise
as to why git would be good for the whole ASF, and it is certainly not
impossible that it could be adopted. However, if a project made
something like the installation and use of git a core part of their
proposal, you can be sure it wouldn't be accepted.

I hope that makes it a little clearer. It isn't the easiest thing to
explain.

Regards, Upayavira