Martin Ritchie wrote:
On 06/03/2008, Noel J. Bergman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Daniel Kulp write:
 > a quick svn log on their SVN repo for all commits since Jan 1 [suggests
 that]

all but 4 commits since Jan 1 can easily be contributed to RedHat
 employees.

I think the above should provide enough information about the health and
 > diversity of the community that actually working on the code.

What is the Qpid community's response to these findings?

        --- Noel

Ok I have a few comments in response to the findings:

- Firstly not all work is done on trunk so purely looking at trunk is
not a good metric

- Looking at the last two months especially as that includes the start
of the year which is typically a quite period also will show poor
commit numbers.

- We are preparing for an M2.1 release so a lot of effort is being
expended on that branch.

My take would be to look at the last 6 months, which admittedly
includes a number of holiday periods so the count of commits may be a
little low. Since 2007-09 for the commits on the qpid repository
shows:

aconway 272
aidan 54
arnaudsimon 230
astitcher 16
cctrieloff 45
gsim 201
kpvdr 11
nsantos 8
rajith 169
rgodfrey 99
rgreig 98
rhs 151
ritchiem 593
rupertlssmith 468

1103    RedHat
1312    Non-Aligned

So Redhat have less than half the commits to Qpid so I don't think
this is something we should worry about. Keeping an eye on for sure,
but over analysing the alignment of those people that don't want to or
are not allowed to say who they work for is not something that Apache
requires nor would it be beneficial. Saying that we are not diverse
because a lot of work on trunk has been done by a small set of people
over a two month period is not helpful to the discussion.

It is also worth noting that volume of commits does not in anyway
correspond to the quantity of code changed and even looking at lines
changes cannot say anything for the quality. I think the fact that we
have an active project that has matured to the point that where we
feel as though we can self regulate in the Apache Way speaks far more
to the community of the project than identifying who is paying the
bills.

The whole project worked very hard to pull together two servers and
five client libraries for the M2 release all talking AMQP 0-8. We are
again working as a community to provide a M2.1 release that will inter
operate at AMQP 0-9 with other AMQP products outside the Apache world.
I for one am looking forward to our future releases where we can again
move the entire project on to the wholly different AMQP 0-10.

What is the next step on this? Does the concern still exist or should we take the next step.

regards
Carl.