I must say that this thread has become a very interesting read...

At 04:56 PM 5/7/2008, you wrote:
<snip>

>  And spend a lot of time learning about "The Apache Way".
>  Getting the podling up to speed is no small task for a
>  single person, even if mentors help with it.

Well, I think it is beneficial to start with nothing in this regard.
There are no wrong assumptions and processes in an empty list of
committers. :-) You can learn it the right way without having to
unlearn.

+1

I could attempt to start Caitrin as an open source project on my own and probably do pretty well with it and keep it as a goal to join with the ASF. However, then the community would have to relearn everything when joining with ASF. I'd rather learn it from the ground up the right way than have to unlearn something.

>  I'm concerned about the starting point from which to grow.
>  Apache committers have the Labs to get started and attract
>  a few interested people before coming to the Incubator.
>  A non-committer coming to the Incubator directly faces a
>  really steep learning curve.

But that is why the incubator is here. There just needs to be enough
interest in the podling to get accepted in the incubator. From there
everything else follows. If there is no champion, sponsor or mentor
available the podling won't start. And these conditions will only
become available when someone has an interest in the podling.

There is an extremely large learning curve but everyone starts somewhere right? If you have people willing to show you the ropes (mentors) and someone who believes in the project (a champion) and the drive to see through your project, then that learning curve is made manageable. I just don't have the guts to do what the JSecurity group did and outright ask to recruit a Champion on the list. I am hoping that one of the members takes an interest as I am working on things.

Angie