md5sum and sha1sum (on linux) did not like the checksum files. Checksums
are ok, though.

gpg key is ok. rat looks good.

apache-empire-db builds for me. Can't say much more. Unit tests? Any
kind of code verification? Test suite? This is hopefully just "coming
soon", right? :-)

nitpick: build result is "empire-db.jar", the release jar included is
"empire-db-2.0.4.jar"

+1 for apache-empire-db-2.0.4-incubating

apache-empire-struts-ext-1.0.4-incubating does not. It probably builds
in Eclipse but it is missing the servlet-api.jar and jsp-api.jar, which
are e.g. available on repo1. You might consider reworking your build
files to be a bit more flexible anyway. :-)

So this is basically a -0 for apache-empire-struts-ext, I don't feel
that the build problems warrant vetoing it for this release (they will
for the next).

According to http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html , the Freemarker
License (which is BSD-like) nor the Hypersonic License (also BSD-like)
or the OpenSymphony License (which is Apache 1.1) are on that list.
While it is just a formality, can you please open issues on
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL to rubber-stamp them (and
add them to the "A" list).

I also think, it is sufficient to have only a single LICENSES file,
which contains all the licenses used.

        Ciao
                Henning