Just to clarify things, the artefact published on the apache maven
repository are signed (well, to be exact, most are signed.  See [1]
for the current status)

However, maven doesn't [yet] validate the signature when downloading
the artefacts (ivy neither).  See [2]

[1] http://people.apache.org/~henkp/repo/
[2] http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-2477

2008/9/17 Noel J. Bergman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Dan,
>
> It is a policy matter, not a legal one.  And enforcing artifact signing
> would address this and other crucial, fatal, flaws in Maven's repository
> management.
>
> I still maintain that unless Maven makes swift strides to enforce signing,
> the ASF should ban the use of the Maven repository for all ASF projects, and
> go so far as to remove all of our artifacts.
>
>        --- Noel

Gilles Scokart