On 27-Sep-08, at 4:43 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

Davanum Srinivas wrote:

Because we ("Apache") control the distribution channel?

Nope.  We control several distribution channels; offhand...

 www.apache.org/dist/{tlp}/
   - ASF-wide policies (TLP 3x +1, more +1 than -1)

 www.apache.org/dist/incubator/podling/
   - Incubator policies (+ DISCLAIMER, named -incubator)

 maven repository
   - Maven TLP (now that ASF has absorbed Maven server)

The ASF has not absorbed the Maven server.

     (Not including ASF-wide or per-TLP policies, this is
     a common carrier mirror service with minimal necessary
     controls.)

There are countless distribution channels that the ASF does not
control, distributing ASF software.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl