On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 11:27 AM, Jukka Zitting <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 8:14 PM, Matthieu Riou <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 11:05 AM, Jukka Zitting <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >wrote:
> >> If that's the case, then what's the point of having a separate
> repository?
> >
> > That the project B would have to, as much as possible, conscientiously
> add
> > that dependency as long as it's not in the central repo.
>
> The dependency doesn't just magically appear in project B, someone
> needs to conscientiously add the <dependency/> setting there.

My point precisely.

> That person would already have seen the incubating web site, the
> release notes and most likely also the README, all of which come with
> our disclaimers.

If it came from central? Unlikely. He/she would probably get it from another
source transitively.

> Also, he simply can't avoid seeing the "incubator"
> label in the dependency. I don't understand how adding an extra
> <repository/> setting would somehow make it the Incubator disclaimers
> clearer.

Simply because you have to know about the incubator to add its repository.
We are in a position of information deficit, very few people know about the
incubator and its implications outside of the ASF.

Just take it the other way around. If we push all our releases to central,
why would we still have the disclaimer on our release page? It's not
coherent. And why the disclaimer at all actually, lots of folks seem to
think that those releases are just like any other Apache release. The IPMC
votes on them, right? And then why the incubator, our users are generally
intelligent as Jason said, they can check how old a project and how diverse
the community are themselves. And if they don't care to check it's their
problem, right? I find the slope slippery.

Matthieu