The central repository is not an Apache project's resource.

We've always discussed issues of the central repository in private (except for technical details of syncing other project repositories) and as far as policy goes it's the Maven PMC that will sets it. Members can see the list and we're fine with that. We already know what everyone and their uncle wants and it's unlikely a productive discussion will ensue. You just have to look here to see that. We're not wasting our time in endless debate. We'll decide, take feedback, adjust, and move on. We're actually going to setup a group call to discuss the issues on the table. So by next week we'll stuff for people to discuss.

As far as Maven development goes, we work like just like every other project, the repository is different and affects every project and organization. What we are deciding is beyond the realm of Apache.