Hi Davanum,

In our search for a Champion and Sponsor for the Poloka proposal
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/PolokaProposal We looked into the
Savan, ServiceMix, Axis2, and MUSE projects.

We find that it makes most sense, so far, to have Poloka as a project
under Axis2. It also makes sense to go into the ServiceMix, that
implements WS-Notification already, but objectives of ServiceMix and
POLOKA are somewhat different in respect to POLOKA goal to provide a
stand-alone reference implementation of the spec. Bringing entire
ServiceMix in the picture might be too much. However ServiceMix could
benefit from the POLOKA work in the future.

Poloka (http://poloka.org) could create an Axis2 module implementing
handlers creating a messaging network for a federation of Axis2 servers.
This way we would be able to support

-       Standalone WS-Notification compliant notification producer and
notification consumer

-       Standalone WS-BrokeredNotification broker

-       Federation of WS-BrokeredNotification brokers.

It would make sense to integrate Savan functionality within Poloka as
time goes but not other way around. I think so because Poloka objective
is broader than Savan objective in respect to:

      - Broker support

Broker support is defined in WS-Notification and not in WS-Eventing.
Although it is possible that once a broker with WS-Eventing interface is
created, the picture might change.

      - Subscription

WS-Eventing defines subscription language based on XPath (content-based
semantic). WS-Notification defines subscription Filers using Topic
Dialects (topic-based semantic), XPath over message content
(content-based semantic, same as in WS-Eventing), and resource
properties (optional and unclear semantics, needs refinement in the
spec).

-       Matching performance

It seems that we can improve performance of XPath matching based on the
research done by the PADRES http://research.msrg.utoronto.ca/pub/Padres
project. It would be equally applicable to WS-Notification and
WS-Eventing. Naweed Tajuddin, a Master student of Prof. Arno Jacobsen,
is looking specifically into this issue for his master thesis.

What do you think?

We are looking for the input and guidance of the Apache community in
moving the POLOKA proposal forward. Please help!

Regards

Serge