From: Guillaume Nodet [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, November 08, 2008 9:21 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED];
general@incubator.apache.org; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: POLOKA proposal in context of existing Apache projects

I think it would be beneficial for the project to have a clear
distinction between the WS-BrokeredNotification engine and its web
service binding, so that it could be reused without any binding inside
ServiceMix.  My understanding is that the POLOKA implementation goes
way beyond what ServiceMix WS-BrokeredNotification engine currently
provides, so ServiceMix may be able to switch to use it.
About the RETE engine, it would also be nice to ensure that this
engine is reusable by itself and may become a subproject on its own
(or maybe even a TLP at some point).

I also think, that aiming for its own TLP may be better for POLOKA,
but it will be to the PPMC to decide when times to graduate comes.
Imho, we should just start a vote at some point on the incubator
mailing list, which should be able to sponsor this project itself
(there is no requirement to have any other TLP so sponsor a podling).
That said, I'd like to offer my help as a mentor on this project.

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 9:54 PM, Mankovskii, Serge
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Davanum,
>

> In our search for a Champion and Sponsor for the Poloka proposal
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/PolokaProposal We looked into the
> Savan, ServiceMix, Axis2, and MUSE projects.
>

> We find that it makes most sense, so far, to have Poloka as a project
> under Axis2. It also makes sense to go into the ServiceMix, that
> implements WS-Notification already, but objectives of ServiceMix and
> POLOKA are somewhat different in respect to POLOKA goal to provide a
> stand-alone reference implementation of the spec. Bringing entire
> ServiceMix in the picture might be too much. However ServiceMix could
> benefit from the POLOKA work in the future.
>

> Poloka (http://poloka.org) could create an Axis2 module implementing
> handlers creating a messaging network for a federation of Axis2
servers.
> This way we would be able to support
>
> -       Standalone WS-Notification compliant notification producer and
> notification consumer
>
> -       Standalone WS-BrokeredNotification broker
>
> -       Federation of WS-BrokeredNotification brokers.
>

> It would make sense to integrate Savan functionality within Poloka as
> time goes but not other way around. I think so because Poloka
objective
> is broader than Savan objective in respect to:
>
>      - Broker support
>
> Broker support is defined in WS-Notification and not in WS-Eventing.
> Although it is possible that once a broker with WS-Eventing interface
is
> created, the picture might change.
>
>      - Subscription
>
> WS-Eventing defines subscription language based on XPath
(content-based

http://research.msrg.utoronto.ca/pub/Padres

--
Cheers,