On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 3:04 PM, sebb<seb...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>  >> the NOTICE file looks acceptable to me too.
>>  >
>>  > AIUI, the NOTICE file needs to give attributions to all 3rd party code
>>  > included in the propose release.
>>

>> no - just require 3rd party attribution notices and relocated
>>  copyrights (see http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice)
>
> So all the 3rd party licenses need to be checked to see if they
> require attribution or not.
>
> I've only checked one - Antlr - and AFAICT that does require
> attribution (notice).

The contents of the NOTICE file is another area I think is not so
precisely defined.
http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice says:

"The remainder of the NOTICE file is to be used for required
third-party notices"

but there is nothing that defines what are "required third-party
notices". The ANTLR license (http://www.antlr.org/license.html) says:

"Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution."

This is done in the Cassandra release by including the complete ANTLR
license in a separate license file, and as thats done it covers all
the ANTLR requirements so is there any specific ASF policy that says
its also necessary to have anything related to ANTLR in the NOTICE
file?

  ...ant