> The NOTICE file contains items which should not be there, i.e. Tomcat.

The servlet implementation could come from a number of places.  We
originally didn't mention it in the NOTICE file, but it got caught as
something that needed to be there in our 1.1 release to remove any ambiguity
as to which implementation we're using and whether we're legally allowed to
do so.  So it must stay.  Are there any other items that you think should
not be there?

> Also - a minor point - the ========= dividers are unnecessary (the
> NOTICE file should be as short as possible).

That's a stylistic choice -- we did it to increase readability.  It
certainly should have no bearing on a release vote.

> The LICENSE file does not contain the full CCA LICENSE for the Silk
> icons; see http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/legalcode for
> the full text.

Good to know - I'll update it on the trunk.  Given that we got it from
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/, which is the license linked to
off the silk icon home page, should this block a release?

For 3rd party libraries which use the AL 2.0 license (e.g. Smack &
> Groovy) for completeness this should be noted in the LICENSE file.

the NOTICE file says which items are Apache 2.0 licensed, and the LICENSE
file contains the Apache 2.0 license text.  Is this not sufficient?

> The LICENSE file should note the name of the license, as well as
> including the text.
> The URL would be helpful.

Not a bad idea, but certainly not a requirement.  For quick reference, I
looked at httpd's LICENSE file, and they don't do this (
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/trunk/LICENSE).

The NOTICE file mentions VMWare, but fails to mention any associated
> license.

That's because VMware maintains a copyright ownership over the code
contributed to the ASF, as described in the "Overview" and "Source File
Headers for Code Developed at the ASF" sections of the ASF Source Header and
Copyright Notice Policy (http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html).
This copyright notice is pursuant to ASF copyright notice policy.