On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 10:36 AM, Leo Simons<m...@leosimons.com> wrote:

>>> linked to
>>>
>>> Yes, because it's not actually the license.
>>
>> I'm adding the full license to the trunk now, but with all due respect, I'm
>> gonna wait for an IPMC opinion on this one, since we've already gone out
>> with the 1.1 and 1.2 releases with the existing license (and since this is
>> an incubating release).  Don't get me wrong: I'm not against re-tagging if
>> it's required; but no sense in calling off the vote prematurely.
>
> IMHO all valid objections to releases that are made for legal reasons
> should always be addressed, and they should block a release until they
> are addressed. IMHO, making a mistake once before is no excuse for
> making the same mistake again.
>
> The discussion is difficult because we're not lawyers, and so "valid
> objection" is a difficult judgment call for us to make. The IPMC errs
> on the side of caution, probably a bit more so than most other PMCs,
> probably because we're setting an example as much as anything else.
>
> Rather than force the IPMC to make these judgment calls, please also
> err on the side of caution and fix things.
>
> (These discussions can also be difficult because there can be a
> dispute about what actually should be in a file or what license
> applies or whatever. Different advice would apply then...but the most
> appropriate action seems rather obvious here.)
>
> cheers,
>
> - Leo

The ASF policy is clear on how release votes work - there are no vetos
on releases all that is needed are three +1s. This works ok because if
a _valid_ issue is raised PMC members wont vote +1 or will retract
their vote. One of the reasons poddlings are at the Incubator is to
learn, if we're inconsistent and unduly pedantic about release reviews
people give up trying and learn less, so err'ing on the side of any
objection blocking a release is not appropriate IMHO.

In this case a missing license is clearly a problem that needs to be
fixed, so -1 from me on this RC.

   ...ant