On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 12:30, Gurkan Erdogdu<cgurkanerdo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I would like to specify some concerns about podling release procedure.
>
> As an experienced podling releaser guy from the OpenWebBeans podling , it
> takes too much days to release internal milestones of the project. I know
> that podling mentors/committers may delay to VOTE because of doing other
> business stuffs. But I think that podling releasing is also very important.
> With delayed releases, we are not able to attract and diverse our community.
>
> I wonder is that how can we improve podling release process to decrease this
> time duration? My proposal is to decrease positive IPMC and PPMC VOTE
> numbers to 1 instead of 3. Moreover, maybe it is reasonable to add silence
> consensus on podling releases. One can also think that getting positive
> votes from podling committers are enough to release without getting IPMC
> votes.

Mmhh. These are all mandatory rules to release as a proper Apache
project, which the Incubation is to teach to the podlings.
So I don't think it would be helpful or possible to relax those rules.
Knowing how to do proper releases is considered by many the main
exiting criteria.

> Is there any other podlings that are suffering from release procedures?

I'm sure there are.

> WDYT?

I don't know your particular project's situation, but here are some
suggestions to streamline the release process:
+ Get more mentors onboard, which really care for your project and
provide prompt feedback.
+ Set a deadline for the vote (a vote must run for at least 72 hours,
longer is ok.)
+ Send a reminder 1 day before the vote runs out

HTH,

  Bernd