----- Original Message ----

Wait a second Bill.  In the not-too-distant past there was no requirement
for a podling to cut a release.  Infrastructure people pushed for there to
be one, and pushed to have the incubator releases on the mirrors, because it
turns out prior graduating projects needed to be trained by infra on how to do
this properly.

The purpose of doing a release within the incubator has now morphed into
something a bit different, and not entirely for the better.  I have been
paying attention to subversion release processes for years, and frankly we
should be adopting *their* methods here at Apache.  We don't have anything
to teach them other than mirror mechanics, and that can be learned post-
graduation.