On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 12:02 PM, Ross Gardler
<ross.gard...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2009/12/1 Scott Wilson <scott.bradley.wil...@gmail.com>:
>> A question for mentors:
>> As you know Wookie was originally developed within an EU-funded project;
>> this has now finished and we're getting ready for the project review. I've
>> been asked if:
>>
>> "On http://incubator.apache.org/wookie/ is it possible to add somewhere that
>> the original development was funded by the European Commission through the
>> TENCompetence Project?"
>> I've taken a look at other incubator sites and can't see any similar
>> statements so I'm assuming the answer would most likely be "no", however it
>> would be useful to have a pointer to the policy to show the project
>> reviewers.
>
> I see no reason why this should not be allowed.

I'd love to see it included. The structure of academia tends to reward
scholarly paper-publishing but doesn't really know what to do with
software and data work. European projects also tend towards producing
deliverables that are mostly likely to be giant PDFs rather than
running re-usable code. So when we do finally get useful outputs from
European research funding that enrich the open standards / open source
scene, please let's not be shy in celebrating that! Maybe others will
follow the great example, and start thinking more seriously about
opensource life-after-funding for their codebases, rather than taking
a "throw the code over the wall and hope for the best" approach.
Millions of euros get spend every year on these EU research projects,
that's a lot of lines of code that could be going into the common
pool...

cheers,

Dan