On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 9:09 PM, Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org> wrote:
> Niall Pemberton wrote:
>>
>> It might be good a good idea to not confuse users trying to find docs
>> that relate to a release from that of of the current trunk, but its
>> doing incubating projects a disservice to try and make out that
>> release policy cover the docs they publish on their web site.
>
> Don't our release policies cover all the stuff that's in releases and
> derivations thereof?  What's the rationale to separate documentation from
> everything else that's in a release?

Yes but this is not talking about releases - its about publishing
documentation on the web site. Thats not what everyone understands by
the term *release* here. We don't vote every time someone wants to
republish the website. Its not inviting people to take something away
and do what they want with it. What we publish on the ASF websites
doesn't have to conform to the licensing policy that releases do. Its
there for people to read. Now if you packaged up those docs, voted on
them to distribute and invited people to download them and what
they're licensed under then it would be a release. But this isn't
that, its providing documentation on the website and AIUI that isn't
governed by what we have for a release policy.

Niall