Joe Schaefer wrote:
Exactly.  That's the key difference between a release and a website, we
can't take the release back.

Good point. We don't mirror the website on 3rd party sites like we do releases, nor does HTTPD currently package pre-release docs as an archive that folks might download and install locally. So this is less risky than promoting complete nightly builds. But what if a project starts posting the nightly documentation as a tarball, so that folks can access it while offline?

So I still worry that it sets a bad precedent to permit publishing a significant subset of a nightly build on a public website. I as yet see no reason why it's a problem to link to it from the developer portion of the site, like links to subversion, except that developers might already be used to finding it on the primary site. Which is precisely why, when a new project asks how to post its nightly documentation, we should tell them the best practice is to confine pre-release stuff to the developer portion of the site. There they can post it as individual pages, archives, a big PDF or whatever. We can keep this line clear: if it's content destined for release but that hasn't been released, it should only be available from the developer portion of the site.

Doug