Hi,

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Goetz, Paul <paul.go...@sap.com> wrote:

>...well, sorry that the discussion did not happen on the Chemistry mailing
>list.
>
> But for those being employees needing a legal clearance from their employer,
> before they
> can contribute or mail to a mailing list, it is difficult to do that in an
> early stage...
> That's why we discussed that with Florent - and I did assume that he was
> discussing that
> with the Chemistry project....

Nothing bad in discussing things with Florent of course, but again
private discussions are not relevant to project-level decisions at
Apache. If it didn't happen on a public mailing list, that doesn't
count...

> ...We have a working code base already - discussing the modus operandi and a
> potential merge
> with Chemistry seems to be time consuming to me (compared to doing a review
> once the
> entire OpenCMIS code is available and stabilized). Wouldn't it be worth to
> give it a try?...

IMHO, not until we hear the Chemistry community's opinion.

> Gianugo Rabellino wrote:
>> I wish this discussion happened on chemistry-dev, and I would actually
>> like to see what the community as a whole thinks about it.
> I would also like to see what the community as a whole thinks about it...

As Gianugo says, the Chemistry folks are certainly the best people to
judge (together with you guys of course) whether your ideas can be
incorporated in Chemistry, or are better off in a separate project.

The Incubator's position is very probably that it's fine to have
different projects working on similar things, but in general we're all
for strong communities, and if you guys can join forces with Chemistry
from the start that's probably a better way to build a strong
community.

-Bertrand