On 26/05/2010, ant elder <ant.el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>  >>>
>  >>> The tag to be voted upon:
>  >>>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/shiro/tags/shiro-root-1.0.0-incubating/
>  >>>
>  >>> Staging repo for binaries:
>  >>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheshiro-005/
>  >>>
>  >>> Staging site:
>  >>> http://incubator.apache.org/shiro/static/1.0.0-incubating/
>  >>>
>  >>> Project website (just for informational purposes, not to be voted upon):
>  >>> http://incubator.apache.org/shiro/
>  >>>
>  >>> Guide to testing staged releases:
>  >>> http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html
>  >>>
>  >>> Lazy consensus, vote open for 72 hours.
>  >>>
>  >>> [ ] +1
>  >>> [ ] +0
>  >>> [ ] -1
>  >>>
>  >>
>  >> I can't find all the source for the release. AFAICT the only way to
>  >> recreate all the release artifacts would be from the svn tag but thats
>  >> not enough as an ASF release must include a source release. If I've
>  >> just missed it and all the source is there somewhere then could you
>  >> provide the link?
>  >
>  > All the artifacts have sources and javadocs in the same "directories".
>  >
>  >
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheshiro-005/org/apache/shiro/shiro-all/1.0.0-incubating/
>  >

> AIUI all ASF releases MUST have _buildable_ source. The source jars
>  included in those directories are not buildable. The idea behind this
>  is that the ASF deals with source code and releases are of source
>  packages that enable anyone to go tinker with that source, but you
>  can't do so much useful tinkering if you can't build the source. See
>  http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what-must-every-release-contain
>  and various emails that fly around on other mailing lists.
>
>  I believe the latest Maven release plugin and Apache parent pom.xml
>  will create the correct packages now. You probably could reconstruct a
>  buildable source from whats in the Maven repo and if this was a small
>  release like a single Maven plugin or something it could have been
>  argued that this was ok and could just be updated to the new Maven
>  release for next release, but this is something like 20 modules so to
>  recreate it would be quite a job - working out and recreating the
>  correct directory structure, unzip all the source jars into the
>  correct place, download all the pom.xml's and rename them and put them
>  in the right place etc.
>
>  Or anyone leap in here and explain i've misunderstood the policy.

I think you've put it well.

==

AIUI releases of Maven projects consist of two sets of artifacts:

1) Those that are released via the mirroring system.
These consist of a single source archive (usually in tar.gz and .zip
format, but with the same contents) plus sigs and hashes.  These
should agree with SVN.

Usually there are one or more binary archives as well.

This is the primary release mechanism for all ASF software.

2) The Maven artifacts which are often split into mutiple archives, as here.
Maven releases are very common, but are not required (and may not
always be appropriate).

In this case AFAICT the mirrored artifacts (1) are completely missing.