Hi Manos,

On 27/07/2010 13:57, Emmanouil Batsis (Manos) wrote:
Hello Dan,

On 07/21/2010 12:56 PM, Dan Haywood wrote:

So: the Apache Isis (?) project will provide the ability to ...

Sounds cool. ... Anyway, I checked out the provided URLs and I'm having a really hard time understanding the plumbing used. Perhaps some examples would help people (and me!) figure out if they are interested in participating.

Thanks for the feedback; which means that (a) we should have better info on the NOF/Isis website, and (b) I should include it in the incubator proposal.

But to answer your question right here:
* Naked Objects core (http://www.nakedobjects.org/core) has very few dependencies; indeed when originally written it depended only on crimson and on log4j, which is why I was able to cross-compile it to .NET as a J# project from which the commercial .NET version eventually emerged. * right now the core depends on Apache commons, and I've recently started using google collections since it's so nice. We've also got a discussion going on to start using Google Guice in order to remove some of the boilerplate, though a refinement of that will be to use JSR299/330 annotations. * Another thing for the roadmap is to introduce instrumentation, probably via JMX. Another possibility is to expose more clearly the transactional boundaries so that we can leverage JTA services (at the moment the transaction management stuff is pretty much home grown); this will allow for transactional domain services.

The plugins ((http://www.nakedobjects.org/plugins) and the sister projects (http://starobjects.org) do have more dependencies:
* the berkeleyDB persistor is a persistor for Oracle Berkely
* the JPA persistor uses Hiberate under the covers; one of the tasks during incubation will be to replace this with OpenJPA (since Hibernate is LGPL)
* the Wicket viewer uses Apache Wicket, obviously
* the RESTful viewer uses JBoss RestEasy; again I'll need to change this to an Apache-license compatible library (probably Jersey)

One of the things that's nice about the architecture is that it's easy to add in new viewers/persistors based on XYZ technology. One of the commentators here (Ulrich) has mentioned an interest in a Tapestry viewer, which would be great; I'm also in discussion with someone offline about a Vaadin viewer. I'm kinda hoping that during incubation we might find someone who's might like to write a persistor based on one of those trendy NoSQL databases such as CouchDB or MongoDB, or perhaps Apache Cassandra or something from the Hadoop family

Hope that's useful (and hope that inspires people/you) to get involved,
Cheers

Dan

Cheers,

Manos