On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 16:20, Noel J. Bergman <n...@devtech.com> wrote:
>> > So it allows them to seamlessly earn wider karma via RTC?
>> Correct.
>
> So, it promotes CTR by the more experienced hands, and RTC by the less
> experienced hands.  That does not seem like a bad thing.

Yup.

And to clarify: within their specified areas, the "partial committers"
have full CTR rights. It's only when they need/want to commit outside
of that scope that RTC kicks in. We further tweak this pattern to give
them CTR outside the scope for "obvious fixes", such as a typo in a
header file.

It is all explained at:
http://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/roles.html#committers

Yes, it has worked out quite well as a way to groom committers into
larger responsibility. The bar is low to get partial commit access
(why not? anything can be reverted), but the move to full access (PMC
member now, too) takes a while to demonstrate capability, interest,
and whatnot. This is the same pattern as other ASF projects: continued
dedication gets an invitation to the PMC; although our initial commit
access bar is lower than most.

Cheers,
-g