IMO the main thing to be careful about is to not look at committership from
the traditional organizational structure approach. Committership is a means
to an end (modifying code) but we are also interested in getting that person
become actually be committed to the project and care about it and have a
personal interest in it (and from there in the ASF). Many of us got started
in ASF or other FOSS projects because of work but then it grew beyond that.

Thus if the motivation for removing committership is that the person is now
assigned to another project by the employer/management then I'm absolutely
-1 on it. If its being removed because the person was an active committer
but has since decided its not for them then its fine, although I find it a
bit disturbing a person would go thru that transition within the life of an
incubating project. It is of course fine to trim the list at the point of
graduation by looking at those who actually contributed during the
incubation phase vs. just adding their name as "oh yes I'll contribute".

Sanjiva.