On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 5:47 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>wrote:

> On Nov 23, 2010, at 5:29 PM, David Wang wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 11:19 AM, Ralph Goers <
> ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>wrote:

> be
> >> transferred to the ASF?

> >> know if that affects this project though, since as far as I can tell,
> it's
> >> changing names to "Wave in a Box" ?
> >>
> >> The proposal says the project is Apache Wave and the main product is
> Wave
> >> in a Box.  In either case, it would be good to get confirmation that
> Google
> >> is giving up the rights to "Wave".
> >>

> > Thanks for picking that out. I've just added a section on trademarks.
> >
> > = Trademarks =
> >
> > Google retains all rights to the trademarks "GOOGLE WAVE" and the wave
> > design logo, neither of which will be used in the Apache Wave project.
>
> OK - Have they explicitly OK'd Apache Wave?  While Apache Wave would
> certainly be unique to Apache, if Google intends to keep using Google Wave
> (and Wave as a shorthand) this would get very confusing.

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm not so sure it is Google's place to "okay" Apache
Wave. I don't see it as an issue if there is both Foo Wave and Bar Wave. The
concept of a "wave" (lowercase) is such that it is meant to be able to
interoperate across a distributed set of products and installations (much
like email).

That said, Google has already announced that development has effectively
ceased on "Google Wave" as a standalone product.

-Dan