I agree, there are other wave implementations popping up, some of which include
"wave" in the name and some don't.  "Lightwave" for example is one such
project.  I think that Apache Wave and the Wave in a Box product should be fine.

Also, as Dan points out "Google Wave" product is going to cease to exist in the
near future.  The wave.google.com service / application will be shut down
sometime after the end of the year.  At this point Google's intent (if I
understand it correctly) is that the open source community take up wave
technology where they left off.  This should cut down on any confusion an
complications during the transition.

Regards,
Michael