Hi,

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 6:28 PM, Jim Jagielski <j...@jagunet.com> wrote:
> On Jun 1, 2011, at 12:21 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
>> There is a statement that "Oracle will assist in the transition and migration
>> from OpenOffice.org.", I am probably reading too much into it, but why is
>> there not a statement that Oracle intend to continue development once
>> the transition is complete?
>
> Most likely because they don't intend to.

This should be clearly spelled out if it's the intention. I'd also
like to see how the community plans to cope with such a major loss of
experience and know-how.

A related example is the Apache River podling that nearly died when
the then Sun employees were pulled out of the project, which left next
to nobody to look after the codebase. Only with major efforts by
mentors and new contributors was the project salvaged, but even now
it's only a shadow of what Jini used to be. I'd hate to see the same
happen to OpenOffice.

BR,

Jukka Zitting