Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedm...@gmail.com> wrote on 06/01/2011 02:56:10
PM:

> > We could have put a much longer list of IBM names on this list,
developers
> > familiar with the code base via their work on Lotus Symphony (which is
our
> > OpenOffice based project).  But then we could have been criticized for
the
> > proposal being too dominated by IBM.  It is clearly our intent to grow
> > this project, both from our corporate developers, but also by
recruiting
> > new members to the project, including developers from related open
source
> > projects (see my previous note)
>
> And why couldn't IBM do quite the same with LibreOffice, or, even
> better, with a remerged O/LOffice?

I trust I do not need to explain at length to an Apache PMC the relative
merits of the Apache 2.0 license or the strengths and stability of the
ASF.  I'll take it as granted that this is well-known to you all.  In any
case I am a strict adherent to the practical wisdom of not debating open
source licenses while sober, and I decline to make an exception in this
case.

A re-merged OO/LO would be great.  Even more ideal a re-merged
OpenOffice/LibreOffice/Symphony/RedOffice, with greater discipline for how
we relate to other projects that make smaller customizations (NeoOffice,
BrOffice, EuroOffice).  But I think the best place for this to happen is
at Apache.

Of the options we considered (and we did consider several, including
LibreOffice's Document Foundation) Apache was the clear top choice.  I
don't want to denigrate the accomplishments of LibreOffice.  What they
have seems to work for them.  So instead of pointing out their
liabilities, let me just enumerate what I see as some of the relative
strengths of AFS:  pragmatic commercially-friendly open source license,
proven track record and organizational stability, mature,
meritocracy-based process and strong technical infrastructure.

Regards,

-Rob