PMCs at Apache have a wide latitude in managing the meritocracy. The
simplest answer is the high-trust answer: if you demonstrate that you
are a responsible contributor, you get commit access, and the PMC
trusts that you won't abuse it outside your competence.  More complex
answers involve granting commit karma to portions of the source
instead of to the whole shebang.

The former can work even for a very large project if the PMC is big
enough and energetic enough to provide enough supervision.

Much can be learned by looking at the existing TLPs and their
practices. The most important principle is that the core Foundation
principles allow for any sort of merit to be rewarded with appropriate
responsibility. Hypothetically, someone who worked like a daemon in PR
and evangelism might end up on the PMC without ever committing a line
of anything or ever needing commit access. Thought the PMC might grant
it to them anyway as a badge of merit.