Hi,

Greg Stein wrote on 2011-06-04 16.28:
"Oracle America" is the full name of the entity that granted us the code.
They may not have been able to get the same tax deduction donating to a
foreign entity. The tax deduction would be*considerable*  given the value of
the OOo brand.

ah, sorry, then I understood this wrong - I understood the mail in a way that in general, an US-based solution would be better. Of course, for US-based entitites, a US foundation has advantages, whereas for European-based entities, an European foundation has advantages. What I wanted to point out is that in any way, a solution has to be found for those not located in the legislative of the foundation, so ASF and TDF have the same issues here to solve.

Personally, I think Oracle's choice had more to do with IBM's
recommendation, than taxes.

I tend to agree. At least it would have not been impossible at all to work around that donation isuse, if there had been a will to do so. But I guess that should not be the topic of this thread. :-)

More on the other mails later on,
Florian

--
Florian Effenberger <flo...@documentfoundation.org>
Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108