On 4 June 2011 15:46, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Andreas Kuckartz <a.kucka...@ping.de>
> wrote:
> > Am 04.06.2011 16:00, schrieb Sam Ruby:
> >> While other choices may make sense depending on the
> >> specific circumstances, a necessary consequence of making a choice
> >> that does not cast the widest possible net is fragmentation.
> >
> > I do not know if that is a "valid perspective" or not, but I think that
> > the categorical statement ("necessary consequence") contained in it is
> > false.
> >
> > The license used for the Linux kernel certainly does not cast the widest
> > possible net but I do not see significant fragmentation, quite the
> > contrary. There is essentially one and the same kernel used by (almost)
> > all Linux distributions (with rather small modifications).
>
> Much of the Apache Software Foundation infrastructure is run on
> FreeBSD.  OS/X is built upon a similar base.
>
> If we wish to join forces (and to be clear, that's my preferred
> option) it behoves us to enable the Darwins of the world.  Alternately
> (and NOT my preferred option) lets decide that we are pursuing
> separate goals and find other ways to support each other.
>
> > (Generally: When a net is to wide it can get teared up.)
>
> The problem with all analogies is that they are fundamentally flawed. :-)

Yes, they are for Language graduates not technologists ;-)

There is clearly risk in any strategy to move forward but there is no point
in obfuscating the risk calculation by including constants as if they were
variables.

Fact: Oracle donated the code to ASF, not to TDF. It's just the way it is
not a value judgement.

Fact: Copyleft license can be derived from Apache but not the other way
round

Fact: TDF have some very able people some of whom will not want to work on
non- CL code

Fact: ASF will not change its license

Given these it seems certain to me that there will be two projects. Its up
to the players to makes sure that they thrive rather than die. I believe we
can do this so let's just do it.