Hi Sam,

Sam Ruby wrote (04-06-11 16:00)
On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 8:30 AM, Cor Nouws<oo...@nouenoff.nl>  wrote:
Sam Ruby wrote (04-06-11 13:35)
Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 6:24 AM, <a.kucka...@ping.de> wrote:

If yes: which licenses would IBM be willing to consider ?

Is there any reason to believe that the Apache License, Version 2.0 is
not an appropriate choice in this situation?

Yes. As expressed by many on this list and elsewhere: the Apache license
policy does not match for at least part of the LibreOffice project.
So starting with finding a common ground first, rather than starting with
the Apache model, would have been a better approach, IMO.

This question can be looked at from multiple perspectives.  I will
start by acknowledging your perspective as a valid perspective.  I
will close by asking that you acknowledge mine in a likewise manner.

In order to cast the widest possible net, it is important to pick a
license that seeks to permit the widespread use of the code, being
inclusive of both Free and proprietary software products alike.

In general yes. And the details of the licences providing that inclusiveness, as well as if the assumption really holds, of course depend on the specific situation. Choosing a start that you know will bring you in conflict with a fast maturing foundation, delivering a rewarded project, strongly backed and enjoying support from the larger part of the old non-Oracle OpenOffice.org community as well as a growing amount of free developers ... In this specific situation you take a big risk. Namely ... hmm, read the other mails for that.

I fully understand that that is just one possible criteria for a
license choice.   While other choices may make sense depending on the
specific circumstances, a necessary consequence of making a choice
that does not cast the widest possible net is fragmentation.

Yes, just wrote about that.

Before proceeding, can I get you to acknowledge that as a valid perspective?

Well, it is above. But I'm not sure if further debate will bring us to a point where you acknowledge that trying to find a common ground first would have be useful - and that was my question a but further above.

Regards,

--
 - Cor
 - http://nl.libreoffice.org