Joe Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com> wrote on 06/05/2011 03:57:05 PM:

> To bridge that gap will require trust bonds to be built on
> both sides.  Generosity with the use of the OOo mark on our
> part combined with generosity from TDF regarding build/distribution
> resources is just a first step in the chain.

I agree that bonds of trust will need to be built.  But I am not so
sanguine we know today what the best ways of collaboration will be.  We
might be surprised by how much progress will be made by having the
developers talk this over on the project list over a few weeks, compared
to what IPMC members might think on this topic after only a few days.  So
it might be premature to say that we actually know what the "first step in
the chain" is at this point.

Another part of the web of trust here will be for the IPMC to trust the
podling to star, in some small way, figuring out some of these things on
their own, working along with their peers at TDF/LO.  We might stumble. We
will need help from mentors.  We're certainly be monitored by the IPMC.
That is what incubation is for.   But ultimately, for the long term
strength of the project, we need to discuss and resolve some of these
issues in the project.  Collaboration with related work in other
communities, downstream, upstream or cross-stream, as well as with users,
is an important function of any Apache project.  We plan on taking that
function seriously.

-Rob