Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com> wrote on 06/05/2011 08:49:19 PM:

=> >
> I read all that Rob.  Nothing in there about the plan to continue
creating,
> building and delivering  OpenOffice.org on all the platforms and in all
the
> locales it is today, along with an estimate for the IPMT of how big the
task
> is, whether it's adequately staffed, what infrastructure it needs and so
> on.
>
> Your focus on the ODF market is laudable and you know I've been
supporting
> similar aims for even longer than you have. But my big concern remains
> making sure that throughout 2011 there's a fresh, live consumer binary
being
> produced to keep the enormous existing user-base satisfied.

No Simon, it was not in the email.  I didn't think it was necessary to
repeat what is already in the very first paragraph of the proposal on the
wiki:

"OpenOffice.org is comprised of (6) personal productivity applications:
word processor, spreadsheet, presentation graphics, drawing, equation
editor, and database. OpenOffice.org supports Windows, Solaris, Linux and
Macintosh operation systems. OpenOffice.org is localized, supporting over
110 languages worldwide. "

I don't see a problem here.  There are competitors in this market that
release only every three years.  They seem to have users.  There are some
that release updates every quarter.  They have users as well. And some do
something in the middle. They have users as well.  So there is no "one
true answer" here.

The OOo releases have recently been like:

3.0  Oct 2008
3.1 May 2009
3.2 Feb 2010
3.3 Jan 2011

So the most recent interval was a one year cycle between releases.  Even
with the overhead and resulting downtime of moving our tent to Apache, I
don't see why we couldn't aim for a stable 3.4 in Q1 2012 or earlier and
not frustrate customer expectations.    Not saying we couldn't do
something more aggressive than that.   I'm all in favor of getting to a
more steady heart beat, say quarterly betas or something like that.
Release early and often.  But the details are for the project to work out.

-Rob