> Maybe the "people from LibreOffice" are not voting against because, even
> though they believe there could have been better solutions, given the
> current situation they prefer that OOo is approved as a podling: see
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.discuss/5824 for
> a more detailed (personal) opinion from a Steering Committee member.

Hi;

I think Italo is incorrect saying voting "no" would be a defeat for
free software. It is an honest mistake. People don't know what else
could happen, because alternatives are not being discussed. I have
noticed many think no other plans are possible. This forces people to
vote "yes".

I think LibreOffice people are quiet for various reasons:
1. Voting yes is seen as being helpful and friendly, but voting no is
seen as unhelpful.
2. It isn't clear if voting helps. They've made their points clear.
3. These people are thrown into this chaos only months into their
existence. Should they be unfriendly to a bad idea? This is not
something that many have had to deal with frequently before. None were
likely a part of the Blu-Ray / HD-DVD fiasco, etc.
4. It is rude not to retract a plan that many have objections to.
Should they compound it with their own rudeness?
5. With all the people related to Sun / Oracle or IBM, some think the fix is in.
6. Some think their official position means they should be quiet / diplomatic.

The mistake is there could be a silent majority of objectors. The TDF
community is big already. It is cheapest to vote "no" now. Anyway, I
have my own plans so I wish you success in your good ones.

Kind regards,

-Keith