On 06/14/2011 12:31 PM, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 10:43:21PM -0500, Richard Frovarp wrote:
Please vote on the release cndidate for Apache Droids Incubating,
version 0.1-incubating. I've received one binding IPMC +1 votes and 2
non-binding +1 votes.

PPMC release vote thread:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-droids-dev/201106.mbox/%3c4de7d6cc.8080...@apache.org%3E

Hi,

Looks like this is the inaugural ASF release for Droids, right?

Thank you for looking at this. Yes, it will be.

First, congratulations on getting this far!  It can take a long time and a lot
of effort to get to the point where a podling's contributors feel comfortable
proposing an ASF release.

That said, I have some questions about the PPMC vote thread.  Droids has the
following roster, according to the status page:

     Mentors      Ross Gardler
                  Paul Fremantle
                  Grant Ingersoll

     Committers   Thorsten Scherler
                  Ryan McKinley
                  Grant Ingersoll
                  Oleg Kalnichevski

This is the tally for the PPMC vote:

     +1  Torsten Scherler
     +1  Richard Frovarp
     +1  Bertil Chapuis

The Droids status page has apparently not been kept up to date, since there
are numerous authors listed at...

     http://svnsearch.org/svnsearch/repos/ASF/search?path=%2Fincubator%2Fdroids

... and both Richard Frovarp and Bertil Chapuis seem to have commit rights.
Can you please confirm that the three +1 votes all belong to people who are
official members of the Droids PPMC?

Yes, the page needs to be updated. Ross has provided us with a link to the page on how to update that information. I personally haven't had time to do it. I think I'm on the PPMC, but for the Incubator, I'm not quite sure the distinction between a PPMC member and a committer.

Then there's the IMPC vote, which looks like it comes from Thorsten Scherler.
According to this...

     http://people.apache.org/committers-by-project.html#incubator-pmc

... Thorsten is not on the IPMC right now, though as an ASF Member he can
simply request to join.  Once that happens, you'll have 1 IPMC vote.

But he is. Several months ago the board acked his request, but it would appear that the IPCM membership roster hasn't been updated.

However, none of the Droids Mentors appear to have participated in the vote.
I know one of them is camping and one took a new job recently, but still, it's
troubling.

Ross participated in a previous vote that didn't pass as we found things we need to clean up. It would seem he didn't have the time to participate this time.

In principle, I'd like to freelance and contribute some oversight towards your
release by performing a surface review and voting.  I can check license
headers, sigs and sums, etc, and help with an audit of LICENSE and NOTICE,
especially if we can work together to produce an authoritative list of the
project's dependencies.  Unfortunately, my Java expertise is almost all
theoretical, so code review will be limited to fumbling around until I figure
out how to run the test suite and verify that it passes.

I can put together a list. Maven should give it to me easily and I can post. I've gone through it quite carefully and everything I can see indicates that we are good. I've been doing some of this as PMC Chair for Apache Lenya, so I do have some experience with it. Further help and guidance of course is always welcome.

However, I won't personally feel comfortable contributing a +1 without at
least one of your Mentors signing off, particularly for a first release which
endorses the IP clearance process.

Fair enough.

I've only been on the IPMC a few weeks.  Can any of our more experienced hands
offer recommendations about the best way to proceed?

Thanks once again.