On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 5:48 AM, Henri Yandell <flame...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As can be seen elsewhere, I'm on a self-given mission to clean up the
> history of podlings by getting them to sign off on the following
> checklist item:

> "Check and make sure that the papers that transfer rights to the ASF
> been received. It is only necessary to transfer rights for the
> package, the core code, and any new code produced by the project. "

:-)

> I view this as the first item that a podling should be dealing with,
> along with setting up the committers and getting that first codebase
> in. By comparison, a website is a nice to have and community is just
> icing.

In principle, right.

In practice, the legal sign-off is often quite slow in arriving and
people like to make a start.

(Perhaps might be useful to ask podlings for brief weekly updates
until signoff arrives to help with tracking...)

> Proposal time.
>
> In parallel to cleaning up history, I'd like to stop the rot going
> forward. I'd like to propose that each new podling has 3 months (or
> another calendar length if that feels too short/too long) to get the
> checklist item signed off. I'm partial to 3 months as we would make
> them report monthly until they have the item signed off, perhaps with
> 6 months as a 'do we retire the podling?' checkpoint.
>
> Thoughts?

Sounds good.

If we make it 3 months then best to start the clock after the holiday
season is over...

Robert