On 02/08/11 11:24, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
On 2011-08-02, Henri Yandell wrote:

As can be seen elsewhere, I'm on a self-given mission to clean up the
history of podlings by getting them to sign off on the following
checklist item:

"Check and make sure that the papers that transfer rights to the ASF
been received. It is only necessary to transfer rights for the
package, the core code, and any new code produced by the project. "

I view this as the first item that a podling should be dealing with,
along with setting up the committers and getting that first codebase
in. By comparison, a website is a nice to have and community is just
icing.

Dealing with, completing is a different issue.

Proposal time.

In parallel to cleaning up history, I'd like to stop the rot going
forward. I'd like to propose that each new podling has 3 months (or
another calendar length if that feels too short/too long) to get the
checklist item signed off. I'm partial to 3 months as we would make
them report monthly until they have the item signed off, perhaps with
6 months as a 'do we retire the podling?' checkpoint.

+1 in general but three month may be too short, I'm leaning to the
report monthly until done with a checkpoint - and six month feels good
to me.

Currently I'm mentor of a podling where one of the original contributors
who enthusiastically supported the move to the ASF has gone MIA for
several month now without any sort of CLA or grant in sight.  In such a
situation you hope your reminder mails have been lost, there is some
sort of vacation and things will work out.  You wait until you realize
it is time to act because nothing is going to happen.  In such a case
three month get eaten up quickly.

Stefan

My experience with the Jena podling is that getting a Software Grant can take a seemingly long time. It's not a priority item for anyone in the the granting organisation so everything just goes slow. It took us about 8 months to do the process and that was a starting point of already had discussions that, in principle, the organisation would make the grant.

Keeping it at the top of the podling todo list is good - our mentors were good at doing that.

        Andy