On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 11:26 AM, Andrew Bayer <andrew.ba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Whoops. Sorry about that. New tag created -
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/bigtop/tags/release-0.1.0-incubating-RC2
>
> A.
>
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 5:37 AM, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Tags are supposed to be immutable.

Two points here.

1) It's a bad idea to do serious QA only as part of a release vote. It
leads to a lot of noise and duplicated effort. Some of what led to a
respin here could have been tested for before starting a vote.

2) Sebb, I'm sorry to point out that labels are frequently mutated as
part of the release process in various TLP's of which am a part. The
typical procedure is:

1) Try very hard to sort out any possible problems.
2) Run maven-release-plugin. This creates a tag named after the
proposed release (e.g. cxf-2.4).
3) Start vote.
3) If awful turns up, delete tag, goto 1.

The problem is that maven metadata captures the actual svn path, so if
you try to take the '-rcn and rename' you end up with poms with the
wrong svn tags in them. So we're all stuck with not-quite-immutable
tags.