Great addition to Apache, +1.

Some comments on the proposal:
 - In the "Initial Goals" section, you referred to "Add a cluster management
system". Not sure of what it entirely means, but if it is what I think it
is, the new resource-management layer in Hadoop (YARN/ JIRA issue
MAPREDUCE-279) can be leveraged for this. YARN is going to be available in
Hadoop 0.23 release. Willing to help in this regard in any way possible if
you think it makes sense for S4, can have a separate discussion too.
 - You may want to capture the discussion about Hdaoop/Flume/Kafka in the
"Relationships with Other Apache Projects" section.
 - Seen elsewhere that proposals list down the list of companies of the
initial set of committers (section "Homogeneous Developers").

Thanks,
+Vinod