On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 5:18 PM, Karl Pauls <karlpa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 4:11 PM, ant elder <ant.el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Richard S. Hall <he...@ungoverned.org>
> wrote:

> the

> >> I disagree. There seems to be some misunderstanding that there is one
> single
> >> product that must be built.
> >>
> >> When you develop independently evolving modules, "big bang" releases do
> not
> >> make sense. Each module has its own release cycle. Occasionally you may
> end
> >> up creating some sort of "distribution" out of the modules and release
> that,
> >> but that is just one potential distribution.
> >>

> > I agree thats an approach used and works in many projects but if that
> > was really the case _here_  then surely the SVN would be structured so
> > that there were separate trunk/branch/tag folders for each module,
> > there would have been more releases than just the single 0.8.0
> > release, and there would be separate release votes for each module
> > being released.
>
> We have a tag per module and that is enough. Furthermore, we do
> combine several modules if it makes sense (i.e., we want to release
> them at the same time) in one vote as it would otherwise create a lot
> of extra traffic. That's all. It is the same set-up some of the other
> OSGi projects at the asf have (I did quite a lot of their releases).
> The only thing we missed was the source distributions per artifact.

And that IMHO is not enough to consider the release a failure. Let it be
noted and corrected for future releases. AFAIC there's no reason to hold
this podling back because of some minor release inconsistencies which are
natural as we shift from monolithic products to component based OSGi
products.

Best,
Alex