On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 10:24 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bdelacre...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 11:55 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J)
> <chris.a.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
>> ...I think the Champion should be an ASF mentor, which I believe
>> to be consistent with my interpretation of the documentation on podling
>> [PROPOSAL]...
>
> I agree that the *initial* Champion must be an Incubator PMC member.
>
> But later, as I said in this proposal:
>
>> 5. As the podling progresses, it might be a good idea to elect its
>> future PMC chair as Champion, as their tasks are similar
>
> At which point the Champion might not be an Incubator PMC member - I
> think that's fine as they only have a coordination role but no
> additional decision power.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I think this is a source of confusion.
The term "Champion" should always have the same requirements.

Before incubation: ipmc member or member
While incubation: ipmc member or member

But as I suggested in another thread I would like to prefer the
Champion be a pmc member of the sponsor.

Currently it reads:
"Where the Champion is not a Member of the Foundation (i.e. is an
Officer only), the Champion shall be a member of the PMC of the
Sponsor."
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Roles_and_Responsibilities.html#Champion

Actually I think every Champion should be a member of the Sponsor. In
case of "Incubator"-Sponsor, did we ever had the situation that a
Member championed but was not on the IPMC? If this is not the case I
would prefer to rephrase this to:

"The Champion shall be a member of the PMC of the Sponsor."

As Members can become IPMC members on request, it does not make sense
to mention them explicitly.

Thoughts?

Christian