----- Original Message -----

[...]

> 2. Different Apache members have different interpretations of the same rule.
> It seems that there is no consensus on some of the basic rules even among
> Apache members. For example, what constitutes a source distribution and
> what should be put in the NOTICE file? Since all it takes is one negative
> vote to block a release, this increases the turnover rate of RCs.

NO.  The only time someone can claim to hold a veto over a release vote is
when they are jibberjabbering about legal issues.  NOTICE errors really
don't risk a lawsuit from anyone, so those -1's are NOT vetoes.

(Now that I've written that, it's possible/probable that someone will offer
you a different opinion.  What you should do as an incubating participant
is challenge any such opinions with a reference to supporting website
documentation.)

Yes, I share your frustrations with the whole experience here in general.
However, IME good and active mentors can mitigate a lot of the problems
you face as a podling.  Yes there will be times when we have to argue things
out, but that aspect is one of the features of an org that tries to stay
flexible and not overrely on an abundance of rules set a long time ago.