There has been concerns expressed about accumulation of rules without
pruning. In that spirit, I'd like to find out whether the community
feels that dropping the rule would be better than revising it into
something workable.

The current check [1] is outdated (for example, www.nameprotect.com)
and isn't coordinated with the brand team who now look after marks and
names. I've been pushing through a revision of the existing rule
[2][3] with (what seems to me to be) limited support from the
community. I had assume that the community supported the rule but
perhaps the community feels that it would be better just to remove the
rule (and ask the board to handle names).

This is a POLL. Anyone can vote and it's result isn't binding. It
provides evidence about which approach is more likely to gain
consensus.

Robert

[1] "Make sure that the requested project name does not already exist
and check www.nameprotect.com to be sure that the name is not already
trademarked for an existing software product."
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH
[3] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/names.html

[ ] Drop Suitable Name Search
[ ] Revise Suitable Name Search